Thursday, October 2, 2008
Should non-profits work with corporates?
Well the non-profits who partner with corporates, often have this question crossing their minds. Obviously, this thought never crosses the ones like GreenPeace who do not partner as a philosophy.Therefore, my first statement and what follows below is more for non-profits who do partner with corporates.
There are many reasons for questioning the rationale of corporate partnerships. Some of the ones that I have heard include:
- inability to understand the developmental nuances
- expectation to see results as of yesterday
- donor and donee kind of relationship rather than partnership
- wanting too many reports and visits
- the need to publicise it immensely
- corporate or CSR objective driven programming than need based
All the above are valid to some extent. But does that mean we stop working with corporations?
Well obviously not. And this not for the resources they bring in. This is also not for the leverage they could provide. Even not for the well meaning employee group power they bring.
I feel the biggest reason to partner is, to sensitise corporations on the above issues. I think a better mutual appreciation results from sitting and discussing these on the same side of the table.
End word: Yes and yes let us partner with corporations!
Labels: CSR, ISR, Partnering Corporates
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment